Postcard, circa 1900
|Registry Numbers||US 1740, NJ 7 (view other lookout sites in United States, New Jersey)|
|Date Registered||February 19, 2019|
|Nominated by||Bob Spear|
Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
Warren County, New Jersey
N 40° 59.651' W 075° 02.851' (view using Google Maps)
N 40° 59' 39" W 075° 02' 51"
N 40.994183° W 075.047517°
|Elevation||1,090 ft (332 m)|
|Administered by||National Park Service|
Around 1900, this 50-foot wood tower was built in Walnut Valley by the citizens of the area. It was constructed for viewing the panorama of Pennsylvania to the west and the New Jersey farmlands. The tower was used by locals for Sunday excursions and picnics at first, and later by fire wardens to scout for wildfires. It was later replaced by the Catfish Tower, built in 1922 by the State of New Jersey, several miles north along the ridgetop.
There are rumored to be pieces of cable and wood from the old tower along the Appalachian Trail where it once stood.