Tower foundations looking south from site
|Registry Numbers||US 2093, SD 3 (view other lookout sites in United States, South Dakota)|
|Date Registered||June 8, 2022|
|Nominated by||Shawn Barrows|
Black Hills National Forest
Pennington County, South Dakota
N 43° 57.707' W 103° 23.893' (view using Google Maps)
N 43° 57' 42" W 103° 23' 54"
N 43.961783° W 103.398217°
|Elevation||5,175 ft (1,577 m)|
|Administered by||U.S. Forest Service|
This 30-foot tower was built in Spring 1939 and featured a 14'-by-14' live-in cab. The tower was built to spot fires in the areas south of Rapid, Spring, and Battle creeks. It was originally staffed by lookout William Grover and was to be manned for the entire fire season.
Appropriations to support the tower ended in 1961. By 2022, all that remains are the concrete foundations for the tower and its stairs.